12.22.2008

Gearing up for Christmas Eve, Part Deux... Dip!!


The following is an actual, honest-to-god recipe. I measured things with measuring spoons, and when I didn't measure them with measuring spoons, I took pictures. Now you can see what I mean when I say "a bit." :)

It's like this, in fact. I figure that's about a half teaspoon, though probably a little less?


This here? This strikes me as more of a full teaspoon. See, my hand is a little farther away in this shot.




This is one of the things that I was able to make ahead for our Christmas Eve get together (turns out I’ll be cooking for twelve... gulp!). Stay tuned for photos of the dip all dressed up with a little float of olive oil and some toasted pine nuts. I appreciate that it's not especially attractive hanging out in my food processor. The recipe is as follows:

2 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 white onion, roasted (see below)
2 Tbsp Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Approx. 2 tsp of salt
(you know the above shot of my hand with the salt in it? I did that four times. Just do the salt to your taste.)
Approx. 1 tsp smoked paprika
Approx. 1 tsp garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

For the roasted onion- Chop one large white onion into about 1" pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat with a dash of salt and a few cranks of your pepper grinder. Roast in a baking dish at 400 for about 25-35 minutes. They should be soft and have a little brown around the edges, like so:



For deeper flavor, you could do a long, slow caramelization on the stovetop, maybe even with a couple dashes of balsamic. Just a thought!!

Toss all the ingredients in the food processor (or blender):



...and so on, and so forth...

Except for the liquids- you'll stream those in as your mixing implement does its thing. Next step- mix the bejesus out of it. It takes a while because of the onion to get everything smooth, but smooth is what we're going for here.
Smooth like this:




This sort of thing is so much better the next day, so if you can make it the day before, I strongly encourage it. Store in the fridge, and check out my serving suggestion after Christmas Eve!!

---------

As an aside, my roommate/best friend has been making more sweets than I've ever seen in one place in my life. Last night as I was photographing this recipe, she was doing all my dishes. I thanked her, and she informed me that she was doing them so that she could later make me do some awful chore she didn't want to do. I asked her what it was, and she told me she didn't know yet. I told her to shove her gesture of mock goodwill, but that she could keep doing the dishes.

This morning, I woke up and made an executive decision. The awful chore that she didn't want to do that I did for her was to chisel all the peanut brittle off the stove. You're welcome, dear.

2 comments:

~ La Familia ~ said...

soooo...if you decide to become a full time chef and cant find the time to ride your motorcycle anymore i will happily volunteer to take it off your hands for you ! I mean, you dont want those delicate cooking hands messed up on the bike...just looking out for you ! LOVE YOU Sis-in-law !

Marjorie and Andrew said...

LOL That sure looked good and that is very sweet of you to clean up the peanut brittle! Side note...no bequething of motorcycles to anyone that lives with me! LOL